I can’t remember the last time I ate at McDonald’s. I’m not trying to be food snobby, I literally can’t remember. There isn’t much I miss about McDonanld’s, but I have a soft spot for egg mcmuffins.
In my house, we have an easy, delicious way to make egg mcmuffins. It doesn’t involve making some crazy egg patty like McDonald’s does, but it’s so simple.
Quick and Dirty Egg McMuffins
- Sliced proscuitto, pancetta, ham, bacon or any other meat you want
- English muffin
- Sliced or grated cheese of your choice
- Mayonnaise (I like this crazy Japanese mayo that supposedly has more umami flavor than other mayos. I don’t know if it does, but it comes in a fun squeeze bottle)
- Sriracha or other hot sauce
- Slice the muffin in half and toast. When it’s done, put a squiggle of mayo and hot sauce on each half.
- Get a small skillet and crisp up your meat. You’re just looking for texture here, not doneness. When your meat is done, put it on one half of the muffin. Top with a slice of cheese or grated cheese to get it a little melty.
- Put a pat of butter in your skillet and crack that egg over it. Let that egg cook as long as you like. Me, I like my yolks hot and runny, so they burst when I eat them and get all over my hands.
- When your egg’s done, put it on the other half of the muffin and put it all together.
- Wipe off your stove while your muffin cools a bit.
This sandwich is cheesy, melty, gooey, messy and utterly delicious. I crave it for breakfast every day. I rarely make it, for it is not nutritious at all.